Friday, February 1, 2013

Fab Fridays: Self Esteem and Hobbies - Dancing with Passion

To commemorate the International Self Esteem and National Hobby Month, I decided to write about my favorite hobby of dance and how it has helped my self esteem... every Fabulous Friday in February!

Dancing since the age of 5 has helped me grow in an artistic way that my school or education could never have. It showed me how to explore my emotions, my confidence, my strength, my discipline... it helped me explore who I am on a different level. One of my favorite things about dancing is that whenever I dance, either as a student or teacher, I am meditating. My thoughts are clear; I am neither dwelling on what I could or should have done in my past, nor am I thinking about what I have to do tomorrow or day after. I am COMPLETELY and utterly in the moment. I am at peace - in my zen - when I am around dance!

This is why we all need a hobby! We all deserve a break, we all deserve to be in peace - even if for 1 hour a day, a week or 2 weeks. We need it and deserve it!

Can we truly enjoy a hobby without finding a passion within us for it? Passion is defined as a strong and barely controllable emotion. That is something you will see in every amazing performance... that strong emotion fighting its way out of the dancer's body. These were my favorite moments in dance classes growing up. How can I make this move feel sad, how can kneeling to the ground show strength, how can me standing on relevé (tiptoes) show a sign of defeat? What emotion does this song or choreography invoke in me?

Such questions and dilemmas pushed me not only to become a better performer and dancer but also to get in touch with my emotions and expressions. It helped me stand up in public and deliver speeches... it helped me act on stage in drama classes, reach nationals in my High School Speech team, walk the runway for pageants, found a sorority in USC, become the president of the sorority, and so forth. When we learn how to deal with our emotions and express them with confidence - we can't help but learn to love ourselves... and thus comes in the topic of Self-esteem. (to be continued next week.) :)

So let's feed ourselves the nutrients that only a great hobby can help us achieve!

What is your hobby and what steps will you take to make it a part of your lifestyle starting today?


No comments:

Post a Comment