Monday, September 17, 2012

Life Changing Moment #2: Taking a break

Life Changing Moment #2: Taking a break

After 3 years of working with my College Degree as an IT Consultant, I reached a breaking point. Looking back now, I would call this time in my life a 'MAKING point', for it has made me who I always wanted to be. But it certainly didn't feel like that back then.

Work was burning me out at an exponential rate. Although I loved my job and the people I worked with, I didn't feel fulfilled. I was also dealing with personal problems with myself and my family. All this pushed me to take a Leave of Absence from my job. It seemed like an impulsive decision, but I do have a rule that I should only act if I still feel the same way after 2 weeks. And so, I did! 


I took my 3 month leave and left for the only place I wanted to be at that moment - Home in Chicago! I reflected, talked to friends and family, wrote, cried, read, traveled, and finally came to the conclusion that I have been living my life by making decisions based on fear. I had an awesome career, I was well on my way to promotion and on the leadership track of the company, I was completely financially secure, I was in shape, I had just finished paying off my own car - basically, I was set!. Yet... I was unhappy! Why? Because I made so many decisions just based on fear!


Next time... my Life Changing Moment #3: Becoming Fearless.

Are you acting upon fears or desires? Share your story or just share a moment? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment