Monday, October 7, 2013

Teachers are killing creativity! How can we teach and foster innovation in dance class?

I have always been extremely passionate about teaching and learning. After high school, I became a fan of self help books and learned about social conditioning and habits that are taught. As a teacher who is exposed to children's minds, I realize I hold a great responsibility - not only are we teaching dance techniques, but we are also fostering and nurturing habits that can last a lifetime. Now that is serious stuff!

I am a fan of Ken Robinson who is a strong advocate for education reform. We are living in a time where innovation and creativity is expanding and our future is absolutely limitless. But the American education system is 'growing creativity OUT of our children'. Schools ridicule and punish failures. Now tell me this, can we foster originality in our children if we instill FEAR? Absolutely not! Yet, fear of failure is instilled in the standard school systems of America.

I realize I cannot change the American school system (YET! ;) ), however, I do have a powerful opportunity to make a difference through AMNA Dance and its students by facilitating creativity, innovation, and growth.  When learning dance, I try my best to NOT INSTILL FEAR in my students. If a student messes up, I DO NOT punish or ridicule them. I congratulate their effort and show them another option. Opening up their minds to options is more important than forcing them to only see things one way.

Next week... my story about how I facilitated creativity in dance class and sidestepped negative motivation!

2 comments:

  1. I love these thoughts and I am glad that teachers are becoming aware of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! We all need to constantly learn and bring what we learn to others' awareness. The gift of paying it forward is so important :)

    ReplyDelete