Monday, November 19, 2012

Life Class in Dance Class: The Power of a Smile


What's in a smile? I teach students from all kinds of backgrounds and have noticed a beautiful commonality in every child, family, area, and school - the universal language and power of a smile. 

Children may have a bad day at home, I may have a rough day, or we might be tired from other things weighing us down, but during the short time that I am with my students, I make sure that SMILING is #1 on my list, both on my face and the faces of my students. When my children share their happiness with me, I forget all my troubles and focus on the moment,  and I reach out to give them the same every day. Because we all need a break sometimes, and often when I take a step away from my troubles (even if it's only for the length of a dance class), I find that my troubles are easier to deal with!

I had a mother share a story with me about her child and how she wrote a paper in school saying that she loves and appreciates her mother so much. What stood out to me in what this little girl wrote is that she mentioned how her mom smiles all the time and that makes her happy. Who would have thought such a little thing would be appreciated so much that she would write about it? The power of a smile can be underestimated and it affects our children more than we realize. Make sure to smile a little extra today and see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment