Monday, October 8, 2012

Four of my Everyday Rituals, Inspired by the Four Agreements

Inspiration comes from everywhere and differs from person to person. I really love love love to read and some books I have read influence my everyday life. I mentioned The Four Agreements last week, so I wanted to share some rituals I have created from my belief system:


  • Be Impeccable with Your Words: Words are powerful. If you don't have something good to say, don't say it! It will harm you more than it may harm the person who receives those words. With negative words come rejection and fear. Instead, take responsibility for what you put out into the world.

  • Always Do Your Best: This does not mean don't take a break ;) This just means that if you really want something, put all you have into it without fear or hesitation. There are many times that I do something and realize that I could have or should have done something differently. Sometimes that breeds shame or regret because I know I could have done better, and that resentment follows me no matter what I try to do next. However, I remind myself now that I did my best at that time and every lesson I learn keeps changing my best to a higher level. The importance is in applying the lessons learned today, instead of imprisoning our willpower with regret and self-abuse.

  • Never Assume: I still have to work on this because we are so programmed to make assumptions! Often times we 'feel' someone may not like us or that someone did something just to offend or backstab us! These assumptions have us as the main center of attention when the real reasons are much bigger than us! Entertain the thought that whatever someone did is usually a reaction to themselves or their beliefs. This is so relieving to realize! Practice this one every day. It will help you keep your soul and thoughts free and positive.

  • Don't Take Things Personally: I have to check myself often and remind myself that situations are not always aimed at me! When people say things or act in a certain way, it is a reflection of themselves. And it has nothing to do with you! When people hurt us with their words or actions, they are lashing out to protect their belief system and their world. Most of our negativity stems from actions of others' -  our bosses, coworkers, family members, friends, and even strangers. We need to stop being reactive creatures. Instead, be proactive and in control of our reactions, thoughts, and beliefs. Instead of suppressing negative reactions, we can train ourselves not to even have these reactions by understanding this huge truth!
Do you share or struggle with any of these beliefs?

No comments:

Post a Comment