Monday, October 1, 2012

Life Changing Moments Conclusion: Knowing what you believe in

I would like to take a step back to point out an important part of what makes me happy and who I am today. The point of tearing myself apart was to figure this out - who is Amna and what does she believe in?

 I feel it is necessary to have a built-in GPS system before you can make decisions in the real world. If you don't know your North from your South, then you are headed in a very scary direction where 40 years from now, you will be asking yourself - HOW DID I GET HERE? If you don't have your core philosophies rooted within you, you may not be making wise decisions.

Being fearless without wisdom is dangerous and that is a risk I can never recommend for anyone. Do some reflection. Find your inspirations. Find out what you believe in. And practice those beliefs in EVERYTHING YOU DO! EVERYTHING! Whether it is in how you cook, drive, talk to a stranger, or most importantly, THINK! You have to be what you believe in even when no one can hear you or see you!

Once you have created a lifestyle to master that way of life - you become very intimate with your beliefs. It is a never-ending journey... I aim to be better at this state of being every single moment. It is a fight to create those positive habits but eventually these habits will become so natural that you won't even have to think about it. I promise!

I have too many beliefs and too many sources of them to list them all. But if I could just point out a few names of people and sources to get you started on your journey, it would be: Gandhi, Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King and The Prophets of the major religions – learn about them as people and start practicing the characteristics you admire in them. Aim to be like the ones you idolize – they are people just like you and me. Do not put them in such a high pedestal that you cannot even fathom to be in the same place. Set your bar high and challenge yourself to be THE BEST every single day. As for books: The Four Agreements, Tuesdays with Morrie and The Last Lecture.

If you only have time to read one book, I would strongly recommend The Four Agreements. It is a quick read and inspires four life changing concepts that could really help you see your life in a completely different way. I never realized the power of perspective until I read that book!

So now you know my journey. Tell me about yours.

I truly believe that the greatest thing that is yours is what you GIVE!

  • Here is a picture of me where I volunteered at a Women's Empowerment Boys & Girls Club event to teach Bollywood dancing and share my story:

  • I am part of School on Wheels program where we tutor homeless children once a week. It is a great program. Donate one hour each week of you time to give back and appreciate your blessings!
  • AMNA Dance is supporting a great domestic violence volunteer event next week called SAHARA, where Amna and her students will be performing.
  • Here are some pictures of my family and I singing carols and sharing some laughs at Senior Homes during the winter holidays, a ritual we do every year now:





No comments:

Post a Comment